Monday, March 01, 2010

Shamanic Zoo musings

Saturday night I joined a group of people for a evening visit to the Zoo. It was a Shamanic gathering to be with the animals and to say thank you for them being ambassadors to us inept humans.

The Zoo guide, Carolyn, was excellent. She started out the journey with a king snake and two tortoises. They were as interested in us as we were in them.

We also interacted with some pelts that the Zoo uses for education.  My favorite was the snow leopard pelt. He still had his pads on his feet and when I touched them I could sense how he felt the earth under his feet. (Yes I am woo woo like that.) I said, " I want to wear him." Everyone nearby said yes do. But I thought it weird and didn't want to seem weird in front of all these people I didn't know. But after watching others do it. I finally gave in to the urge. It was wonderful and I thanked him. He had the most wonderful tail and I could just see how it would twitch and move.

There was also a bear skin. Brother Bear is what I called him, I shook his paw and felt his claws. But I didn't wear him. He is powerful medicine. I thanked him too.

Then we went out into the Zoo. They gave us little red flashlights as those do not disturb the animals like a regular flashlight. At first I was worried that I would trip and stumble but then I realized I had been to this zoo so many times that I could have walked it blindfolded! So I gave my flash light away.

The Moon was full and the sky fairly clear. What clouds there were scuttled across the sky quickly and never really obscured the moon fully. It was interesting to feel the zoo at night and to know we were the only people at the zoo. We saw all kinds of animals and there were some birds who really wanted us to come see them. They called to us, "hey come here, come see us, what are you up too?" (All in loud bird squawk of course )

We learned lots of  zoo trivia. A man who one night went swimming with the penguins on a dare and left his clothes, wallet and car keys laying there. When he heard security coming he went home which was near the zoo. When he finally returned to the zoo to pick up his car he tried to insist it wasn't him. But of course they had all his id.

The snow leopard likes to play tricks on the zoo keepers by hiding and when they start getting worried he has escaped will jump as if to say "aha fooled yah, here I am."

I found out they let they orangutans paint with mustard and ketchup and that the wolves won't come out when you first come by, they scent you first, and when you come by again they will be their watching you.

We went to the night exhibit which closed today. So sad. We wanted to support those creatures in their move. The anteaters were extremely cute, running around in the trees. Yes they run around IN trees. One seemed to have a big itch happening.

The night monkeys were pulling tricks on each other. One pushed over their feed/water bowl. The other seemed quite annoyed by this while down below the armadillo ran around and around on the ground.


My favorite night animal is the slow loris. He is a tiny teddy bear looking creature that moves slowly around his cage. But the guide told me that he doesn't catch and eat his caterpillars slowly. I also was surprised to learn that the slow loris has a poison gland on his back toe and he licks it and then bites to protect himself. It is like a bee sting however zoo keepers have been know to go into anephalaptic shock from it's bite. I guess when you move that slowly you need some kind of protection.



I also saw a springhass which is a very shy animal and the guide said she had only seen it three times in all the tours she had led. So I guess he was saying farewell to us.


We also found out they are bringing in some meercats in the fall. I love those crazy little animals. So cute.

I had a great time and was glad that I went. The zoo is one of my favorite places. I have animal friends there. I am sad that they can allocate for a new west entrance but no one allocated funds for the night animals. So they move on and we will miss them. I hope they all travel well and are well kept and fed in their new zoos.

No comments: