Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rooftop Prowling Cat


I recently got a hummingbird feeder and a suction cup device with which to hang it up on a big front window in my dinning room. I have been enjoying enjoying watching hummingbirds coming to feed. Last Saturday morning I heard a big kuthunk outside on the porch. When I investigated both my cats were on the porch and the hummingbird feeder was on the ground.

Of course they both looked at me innocently but I wasn't fooled, somehow one of them knocked it down. I had placed the feeder so it was not near any places where my cats could jump up on it, so I was mystified as to how one of them could even get up close enough to make it fall down.

Then yesterday I looked out the window and up on the porch roof was Harold, my cat! I have been hearing sounds on the roof but since I have a squirrel problem I figured it was those darned squirrels playing tag on the roof. Now I think some of the noises was Harold getting up on the roof and hanging out there to check out the hummingbird situation. Not only was he on the porch roof but he also got on the main roof, and then I spied him on the neighbors roof next door. I still don't know how he is getting on any of the roofs. But now I know what happened to the hummingbird feeder. I bet he didn't realize it would crash down to the ground under his weight.

(No hummingbirds were harmed in the process of this event, it probably flew away laughing as the cat crashed to the ground, like the roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote.)



I hope he figures out how to get on the other side of the roof and routes out those pesky squirrels. However knowing Harold he might just decide to sit in on the poker parties the squirrels are having up there. I can see him now, smoking a big old stogy of catnip and drinking a beer.

No comments: