Friday, February 05, 2010

I gotta Ricotta

Last week one of my employers showed me a book about green homesteading. So while the kids were napping I read it. (in high school  I was clocked reading 1500 words a minute in speed reading class!) So I read the whole book. It was interesting and the best thing is that it had a recipe for making Ricotta from goats milk.

Now I don't eat gluten, dairy, soy, or beef due to food allergies. I can eat goats cheese but man is it expensive!!!! I have been wanting to make Lasagna. But kept wishing I could figure out how to replace the ricotta or cottage cheese in the recipe. I kept looking for goat cheese ricotta at the specialty stores, (like whole food) but all I have been finding is jack and cheddar goat cheese and sometimes if I am lucky goat cheese mozzarella None of them fit the bill for ricotta for my lasagna.

Ricotta is so easy to  make! I was shocked. I do a lot of my own bread making due to my gluten allergy and it is pretty tasting. So when I saw the recipe I thought, I CAN DO THIS!!! So I am going to the store getting the goats milk, and then I will try it in the  morning...unless I can't wait.. then I will make it tonight. The biggest problem I face is keeping my cats out of my ricotta and whey once I make it. I think I will rig up the cheese cloth on a hook in the dish cabinet and let it drip into a bowl. I can close the door and hopefully my cat Harold won't figure out how to get it open. 

I love learning stuff like this.

So far it looks like if the world comes to an end you can survive with:

Camping supplies, first aid kit,  three chickens, a few goats, a garden, downspout water barrel or some water source, a big fence...er and some big guns...

No comments: